Coil Splitting In Humbucker With 2 Wires....

theodoropoulos

Forgive me guys but my knowledge in electronics is very small...I have a friend who has bought 2 Gibson humbuckers with only 2 wires...and cannot split...

His question is if he can make a "surgery"and covert this NON SPLIT HUMBUCKER to a capable one...

I would appreciate any help..The answer NO is also acceptable ....

Yes you can. All humbuckers have four wires its just that some are connected at the factory and only have two leads coming out. So what has to be done is take the pickup apart and add long leads. Its alot easier said than done and probably isnt worth all the work to do it.

When you open it up each coil will have a start and an end. RIght now they're connected to one another with lead wires and then only the start of one and the exit of hte other are sent down the wire. Disconnect that wire, install a 4-wire to all 4 lead wires coming off the coils (be careful as these leads are attached to VERY thin magnet wire wrapping the coil and you can easily break them). You also should be sure which lead is going where cause it will matter in the end as to whether you have two coils that both travel one direction (clockwise or counter), or opposing directions (which with the differring magnetic polarity in each coil is what causes your hum canceling).

Chris