Soundcard Suggestions

GEdwardJones

Whatever card you're gonna buy, make sure there's ASIO driver's available for that particular card or you'll never be able to obtain low latency.

I use nothing but Aardvark cards in my studio and manage to achieve 4ms of latency which is usable for playing guitar or keys.

I checked on ebay and noticed an Aardvark 20/20 for $250.... pretty damn cheap I'd say. Top quality for very little money.

However, I recall something on the cubase forum where someone mentioned ASIO drivers were available for the soundblaster, but couldn't find the thread.

Audiotrax makes pretty decent and rather cheap soundcards too.

Good luck!

Coen

I had a link to the SB ASIO drivers, but then my comp crashed and I lost them.

ASIO drivers are a weird thing anyway. On my laptop (which I just accept as really latent as my options for upgrading are limited) Cubase VST can find the drivers, Cubase SX cannot.

Bah, it's stuff like this that makes me want to go back to 4-track cassette.

while i cant speak personally for them, i was discussing this matter with a buddy of mine and spoke highly of this card Terratec EWX24/96 and had considered getting one himself, again im just going off what he had told me, he had utilized someone elses and really liked it. Compared to the SB Live cards its not that much money, but I have always just used the creative ones.

Best of Luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...

GE. I use an Echo Gina24. I bought the original Gina20 when they FIRST came out for $579 (eek!). I used the 20 bit for many many years, never a problem. and about 2 years ago I snagged a used Gina24 for $200. It's def. my favorite soundcard, and I've had them all. For the down n dirty specs, it has the best s/n ratio and thd of all the cards out. Of course, you can go full blown digi and protools, but... The 24 is killer cuz it comes with a 6' cable and 2in/8out breakout box. Also full s/pdif and ADAT support. The SBLive card is a joke. =) Ya know what my SBLive does? Midi count-in's in Sonar2. =) BTW, Cuabse SX is a COMPLETE ripoff of Sonar =)

Ever used Logic? Talk about f'king ALIEN software... Gawd I hate that app.