Masking

I was watching The Great Motorcycle Buildoff the other night and I noticed that instead of tape, the guy who painted Indian Larry's used masking sheets (I think they're made by 3M, but I'm probalby wrong :D). They were clear, lightly adhesive and could be easily drawn on with a sharpie. I was surprised I didn't see more people using this stuff.

then I went on hobbylobby.com and noticed that there's all sorts of masking products (some I remember from my brief stint building R/C cars, but had mostly completely forgotten about.)

So, the question is, do you use anything other than regular old masking tape when finishing? If so, what are your perceived advantages/disadvantages?

Hey dude,

the clear film is called frisket film. It's great stuff but you have to be sure to buy frisket that is compatible with Urethane if that's what you're using, otherwise the fumes will soften the glue and leave residue behind. Also, Most guys, and I think I saw the episode you watched, was the the competition between indian larry and his old school chopper and that really futuristic looking ride that that other guy built? Anyway, for flames and sharp edges, most guys lay it out with 3M masking tape, the plastic green tape, it comes in 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 and up. It conforms to curves awesome, then you lay your frisket over that and cut in the middle of the tape. This way you dont' risk cutting into your surface at all.

I don't usually like frisket to much though unless I need to use it like a stencil for some reasln. Generally I will tape off with 3/16 or 1/8 masking tape, and fill in the rest with the low tack green 3M tape. Outside of that, I use a very fine airbrush capable of hairline paint lines and I just free hand everything.

Sometimes, if I've airbrushed a very detailed item, and need to mask it, I don't want to use tape of any sort, so I use a liquid mask, they mask very well, but you do want to seal your work with a coat of intercoat clear first.

Jeremy,

It was Indian Larry v. Paul Yaffe (Yaffey?). The finish was a Rat Fink airbrush.

I actually have little luck actually finding 1/8" masking tape around here, it's always either sold out or not carried where I've looked (craft stores, hardware stores, auto stores). Liquid mask (which I remember from the week and a half I was into serious R/C cars/models) seemed viable for small/intricate things, but more pain than it would be worth for large areas. The frisket film seems ideal for flat surfaces.

Those shows pump me up as well. I can't wait until American Hotrod airs, 'cos I love motorcycles, but I don't own one. Cars, however.....:D

I'll check to see if we have any autobody paint suppliers around here. It might just be that I need to go down into the city, out here in the burbs, everything's just a little bit smaller/less well stocked.

When I was working in the boatbuilding field we used 3M blue or green masking tape exclusively. I still use it on my guitars. One important point regarding poly/urethane and green tape. Its easy to pull up previously laid poly when removing tape. The more expensive blue tape uses a different adhesive which won't react or bond with most surfaces.

And here is a little trick I learned about avoiding paint line edges which can be a real bitch to sand out. Lay your tape down then slightly curl up the leading edge. That way when you spray your paint, clear or whatever you wind up with a uniform surface. The level of the new paint will gradually angle down to the level of the surface its laid on, no ledge.

Those shows pump me up as well. I can't wait until American Hotrod airs, 'cos I love motorcycles, but I don't own one. Cars, however.....:D

My friend somehow saw one...he said it wasn't as good as American Chopper because the people didn't fight as much....oh well, we'll see.

As for the Indian Larry Thing, how cool would a gold-leaf binding be!?!?!? B)

They aired the first episode on discovery channel a couple weeks ago. It was really a huge let down, it was nothing like american chopper where you see them fabricating and all that stuff. It was mostly watching Boyd Coddington swear at his workers and complain about how long things were taking. It was assembly, but it looked like a typical rod. The cool part about american chopper is you can really see the creative process taking place. It's far more intersting IMO.

They aired the first episode on discovery channel a couple weeks ago. It was really a huge let down, it was nothing like american chopper where you see them fabricating and all that stuff. It was mostly watching Boyd Coddington swear at his workers and complain about how long things were taking.

Yeah, I saw the first one when it first aired a couple of months ago, it was kinda lame, but I have a feeling it's gonna get better as the guys get more comfortable with being filmed all the time.