First Build Ever: Tulipcaster

lunchie

For nuts, id highly suggest getting a graph tec nut and shaping it to the size you need. Cutting nuts from scratch is tedious precision work that really does need expensive tools to really do an awesome job. 5$ nut and some paper gets you a perfect nut every time.

This one I will probably looking to my father for some help. He has everything needed for the nut part, I will probably just borrow his files until I can get my own. Plus, i have a precut bone nut that I am not using, it would just be a matter of tweaking it.

This is cool.

I've been just starting out and trying various tools myself like that last year. My first neck attempt was all done with a spokeshave. You can then follow with sandpaper on something flat (and long) to make sure the lines are straight along the neck.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Wish my dad had some nut files haha,

Yeah, well you just have to know him. If he doesnt have it, all I have to do is point out that fact and he will have 6 of them by the end of the week <_< . He usually develops the sickenss (oops mean hobby ;) ) and then I follow shortly.

I got some progress done on the Tulipcaster and busted out a small project today as well. First the Tulipcaster...
Update:
Its probably hard to tell by the pictures, it kind of seems like pictures of this process is a bit pointless but 'if you dont post pics it never happened!' :D
I got the sides straightened out to where I think I want them. At the nut its 1.75" and at the heel its 2.38" which is about 18/100" thicker then the neck I have been using as my basis. I think I can live with that :D . That is not a whole lot of difference down the neck but that will be alright.
But anyway, its straight so I will be able to figure out my trussrod channel. Also, once I get the neck nearly complete and functional, then I will worry about finishing the shaping of the headstock. It just doesnt make sense to me to do it now while there is a chance of screwing it up beyond repair.
RouchCutNeck5.jpg
RouchCutNeck4.jpg
I ordered my Trussrod and frets from Warmoth tonight. http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar-Double-Expanding-Truss-Rod-P85C46.aspx I went with this one because it looks like the easiest to install and it said it will work with a heel adjustment. I know it says its installed under the fretboard but I cant see any reason why I cant install it through the back? If it busts through Walnut and maple, that would be real impressive :huh: .
Now the other project... Get ready its beautiful! :killinme
My wife wanted to stop at the fabric store on the way home :facepalm: , so I turned my misfortune into some fun. I wanted the tackiest/ugliest looking paisley amp ever and I think I succeeded!
KustomKGA10Paisley.jpg
KustomKGA10Cab.jpg
KustomKGA10Stripped.jpg
KustomKGA10Finished.jpg
The only thing, is it looks like it was done by a bunch of rabid blind baboons. I think next time I think I will recruit the help from my wife. :

My wife wanted to stop at the fabric store on the way home :facepalm: , so I turned my misfortune in
KustomKGA10Finished.jpg
The only thing, is it looks like it was done by a bunch of rabid blind baboons. I think next time I think I will recruit the help from my wife. :

Adorable

Well, financially I have to take the weekend off from my build. I gotta throw some money at it and this is a bad week for bills. So instead of an update, here is a picture of my little girl that is so cute she will make yeah puke :D .

katelinnew.jpg

Well, I was really hoping to get the truss rod channel routed and get a skunk stripe made today, but I was unable to find a 9/32 router bit locally. So, I had to order one and hopefully it will be here before next weekend. After taking last weekend off, I am getting a bit anxious to make some sawdust! Oh well, it is what it is. B)

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to stop in and let y'all know that I'm still around and have not given up on my build. I had to take a hiatus from sawdust, the perfect storm of late nights at work and a Colic-E baby. Good news is that I am using up a couple vacation days this coming week and I hope to figure out a neck jig to route my truss rod. My original goal was to build it tonight but we got a nice little snow storm going on outside and really dont want to venture out in it. Excuses, Excuses I know! :lol:

I do have the build bug going tonight so I think I shall sit down with my planer and see if I cant get a start on the Thin Twin build.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and I hope to have an actual update soon...