New Build! Carved top double cut with all the fixins.

ginner

Hey guys, it's been a long while since I posted. Recently I just finished some new guitars, and wanted to post the build experience. I've learned so much here over the past 10 years. Slowly but surely, I've put together all the priceless knowledge I've gained from lurking these boards for hours and hours coupled with countless time in the shop experience the true taste of "trail and error".

I want to thank everyone on this board for helping me get to where I am. Verhovenc, Drak, Prostheta, ScottR, Westhemann are just a few of the brilliant dudes on here that inspired me to strive for the best I can achieve and always ALWAYS be trying to improve my skills. This is one online community I have always followed, have been extremely proud to be a part of, and respected the members of greatly.

I really want to share some of my techniques for building. There is probably better ways of doing most things I'm posting here, but hopefully I can give somebody who is trying to learn some step in the right direction. Here are some pictures of the build process!

Hand Selected timbers from a local wood enthusiast and owner of one of the largest exotic hardwood emporiums in all of North America, Gary Chanin.

IMG_4890.jpg

Two different design ideas I was considering between. Some early planning of templates!

IMG_5001.jpg

Getting some laminates ready!

IMG_4926.jpg

My fairly crude jig for rough cutting headstock angles.

IMG_4972.jpg

Gettin the truss rod channel cut!

IMG_4977.jpg

Squaring the top laminates with my trusty and always sharp Veritas plane

IMG_5092.jpg

IMG_5094.jpg

Gluing up the top.

IMG_5098.jpg

Body blanks. Honduran mahogany!

IMG_5114.jpg

Na na na na na na na na bat maaaannn

IMG_5141.jpg

Using two screws located where the pickup cavities will go, I mount a template to the body. Countersunk screws into the template let the entire project glide.

IMG_5162.jpg

Edited by ginner

Finishing off with a template bit.
IMG_5160.jpg
Using a jointed 2X4 as a router guide I put two angled channels in the body before gluing the top for pickup wires to easily be pushed through the body.
IMG_5168.jpg
Thickness planing the headstock veneer.
IMG_5188.jpg
Getting ready for the top.....
IMG_5193.jpg
After drilling for hipshot hard tails, I was convined to install evertunes instead. Very impressed with these bridges!!!
IMG_7422.jpg
Throwing in the veneer. Paduak. (marquetry?)
IMG_7479.jpg
Staining process! Basically following the same process as most guys "prs" style. mostly black stain (some of your color added) added, sanded back, and then another of the actual color, sanded back again, and a final stain of the actual color.
IMG_7682.jpg
Grain filled with system 3 epoxy. Sanding sealer added and then water based lacquer on top. all from wood essence in saskatchewan.
IMG_7709.jpg

Holy horny toads that is suhweeeet! You need to stick that in the GOTM.

That must be the evertone bridge. Can't say I know anything about that. What is it about it that impresses you so much?

SR

Hahaha Thanks Scott!

The only drawback I can say for the evertune bridges is that they take out a hefty part of the body, a la floyd rose style. However, the pros heavily outweigh the cons. These things are super easy to set up, intonate and feel really smooth to play on. The fact that they keep your guitar in perfect tune at all times is unreal. I've never been happier with intonation in my life.

Some people complain that you can't bend or vibrato, but thats not the case. You can set each string so its just before the breaking point of equal tension and still have perfect tuning as well as the ability to bend and vibrato. Unless I'm doing a commission build for someone and they want something else, all my future guitars will have this bridge.