Caribbean woods choice

Hi,

I live in Venezuela, and so I'm limited to the woods I could find here to build a solid body guitar.

The only woods I can find here that are suited for musical instruments are cedar, mahogany, palisandro and rosewood.

I know cedar is used in clasical guitars, but what tone I could get from it on a solid body?

I alredy started building RG/ProAxe hybrid body with cedar & mahogany: the bodie will be 44 mm thick with a 26 mm core of mahogany sandwiched between a 6 mm cedar back and 12 mm cedar top, and will have Hollow chambers in the mahogany.

What kind of tone I should get from this body?

also what wood I shoud use to build the neck, tone wise, to match with this body? (I think I could get some ebony for the fretboard but im not shure)

Thanks and sorry for my poor english

Guest AlexVDL

Hi Frodo, Mahogany is a bassy wood with not too much highs, and ceder almost doesn't have any highs. That is from what I have experienced. So I think you will get lot's of lows in your tone and it could sound a bit muddy with the mahogany and cedar.

I think the best wood for the neck could be an all maple neck or maple with an ebony fretboard, just to get the clear highs for the overall sound of your guitar.

I hope this works for you!

Rock on!!

:D

getting maple will be very hardo to me :D I will try to, but I think it will be almost imposible to me.

I've have heard tha cipress could be used in instruments building, what do you think about it?.

Thanks anyway, now I know to look for treble pickups to compesate the lowness of the wood.

getting maple will be very hardo to me :D I will try to, but I think it will be almost imposible to me.

I've have heard tha cipress could be used in instruments building, what do you think about it?.

Thanks anyway, now I know to look for treble pickups to compesate the lowness of the wood.

I don't know much about tone woods yet, but from what I understand Maple is a very dense wood. At least the sort that you would use for a neck is.

I'm not sure how Cypress is in hardness compared to Maple.

Does someone have a link to this sort of information? Is there one already posted on the project guitar site somewhere?