coil tapping special II

manual123

hello everyone. i got a problem, i have a epiphone les paul special 2 and would like to tap the coils to get a single coil sound. i cant seem to fing wiring diagrams on how to do this with this guitar. any and all help is thanked. guitar is stock except strings. thanks

Welcome to the board! I'm assuming the stock HB pickups on Epi's are 3-wire pickups, ie. red, white and bare. If I'm wrong then please reply with the correct configuration. Here is the basic setup for coil splitting a similar 3-wire pickup made by Golden Age.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-GOLDEN-AGE.html

In order to do this you need an extra switch called a DPDT (double pole - double throw) thats the little box with the six contacts. The switch can be mounted separately somewhere on the face of the guitar. You are better off going with a push/pull pot that has the DPDT incorporated into it. That way you won't have to drill any holes in the body.

Thanks for the info..i was totally lost. i guess i gotta get a new switch then, i wonder if i can just put the new switch in the same spot as the old. oh well, ill just have to find out when it comes.... btw way. the colors on mine are red black and orange on my rthythm pup and white black and orange. thanks

You're going to need two additional switches to selectively switch two pickups. The push/pull pots can replace your volume or tone pots, eliminating the need to make any modification to your guitar. You can either use the DPDT as Southpa describes, or you can use an SPST to short the (finishes) common lead to ground. Either one cuts out one of the coils, getting you a single coil pickup. :D