Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Travel Size guitar build

Hmmm...re-looking, I might be wrong.  Your picture might be wood ones in which case ignore the above.  The slot on the metal ones is part of the thread cutting mechanism - your photo shows more like a slot for a screwdriver fitment which would, indeed, be ones designed for wood.  But worth checking, nonetheless. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

That looks sturdy enough. As I previously said, the neck cavity bottoms of my bolt on guitars are about 1" (25mm) thick but I just took a look on my 70's Aria Diamond "1820" bass. It's got two horns and and extrusion like your plan. The inner bolts are barely within the body. What really caught my eye is that the extrusion is only about 3/4" (18 mm) thick. Again, there's a neck plate which may or may not affect strength.

I'd say it ends up to the properties of the mahogany. The species per se can only give a clue, an offcut right at the end of the extrusion will tell how the very piece acts. Drill a hole the size of the bolts at 1/4" from the edge, stick a pin or nail in and pry. Also you can use a punch tool for testing the softness. If it breaks like balsa use a neck plate.

great tip! (thnx!)

3 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Hmmm...re-looking, I might be wrong.  Your picture might be wood ones in which case ignore the above.  The slot on the metal ones is part of the thread cutting mechanism - your photo shows more like a slot for a screwdriver fitment which would, indeed, be ones designed for wood.  But worth checking, nonetheless. :)

@Andyjr1515

Per your comment, I just checked my purchase (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WC8TR0) again and confirmed that the inserts are intended for hardwoods (wheww!).  Thanks for your concern... better to double/triple check and be safe than sorry!  :) 

31 minutes ago, TSK said:

@Andyjr1515

Per your comment, I just checked my purchase (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WC8TR0) again and confirmed that the inserts are intended for hardwoods (wheww!).  Thanks for your concern... better to double/triple check and be safe than sorry!  :) 

Excellent :)