Making a Neck

Brian

Which would you choose as your router bit of choice for the neck itself?

1'' Radius X 1-1/4'' High Round Over Bit

1-1/8'' Radius X 1-3/8'' High Round Over

1-1/4'' Radius X 1-1/2'' High Round Over

Best I can tell the thinner necks like on Jackson's and Ibanez's have a 1-3/16" radius, but I'm not positive.........

Which would you choose as your router bit of choice for the neck itself?

1'' Radius X 1-1/4'' High Round Over Bit

1-1/8'' Radius X 1-3/8'' High Round Over

1-1/4'' Radius X 1-1/2'' High Round Over

Best I can tell the thinner necks like on Jackson's and Ibanez's have a 1-3/16" radius, but I'm not positive.........

Are you actually talking about using a roundover bit to shape the back of the neck? Do they make bits for that for a router?

From everything I've seen, people have been carving the neck shape with rasps and spoke shaves. What's the scoop?

The funny thing is... I've never actually seen anyone do that. There's a picture in the Melvyn Hiscock (god... that name) about the Wal bass neck being made like this, but it basically says... Don't do this unless you want to remove your fingers.

Maybe I'm being thick here, but I'd like to see some pictures of the process. Do you still have to do a lot of manual shaping, or does the router do it all for you?

I also figure that since I'm going to have to get a router anyway as my work continues, I might as well learn to use it for the right things. :D

When I finally get to that point I'll be sure to take all the pictures you need to see :D

It's going to be awhile though since I'm just piece'n the tools together now.

Just so you know when you get up to this size of a router bit your getting pretty close to $100 just for one B)