First carved top Les Paul build

I don't know if I mentioned it but I am also building a LesPaul flat top inspired guitar for myself this one is a bolt on neck.I the moment I have maple veneer glue drying. But here is a look at it before I glued the veneer. The inlay are sticker but on the carve top I want to try doing wooden inlays.

0124211629.jpg

• Like 2

@David Ivy, I like your way of doing. Although not quite reaching the perfection of the GOTM winners your builds have character. Most importantly you seem to be getting the crucial measurements right! A well playing guitar is what matters, not fancy woods or stellar finish. A neck that fits your palm, fret ends that don't take your DNA, perfect intonation and low enough action, that's what really matters. The rest is eye candy.

Adding purple to cure the blotchiness was a good idea. Further, using the same solvent as the dye has (water, alcohol, whatever you've been using) you can wash the lighter areas for a better blending. Sanding back is one method, washing back can be as efficient without the risk of going too deep.

I agree with the purple, didn't know you already had applied oil. Since mixing dye with TruOil seems to work, you can blend the burst by applying dyed TrueOil to the edge and clear on the center, sweeping the clear from the center towards the edge. That would be similar to using water based dyes on bare wood.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I ran into a bit of a snag.

My neck Had too much of an angle on it so I cut the heal down. That didn't work so I took a kit that I built that has a Tuneomatic bridge set up on a bolt on neck. I took the measurements from that one at the heal of the neck & The neck pocket of the body.

So I added wood to the neck pocket & cut the neck heal down.

0213212124c.jpg

0213212124b.jpg

0213212124a.jpg

0213212124.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, David Ivy said:

Looks good and plays good.

The burst sure looks better on the finished guitar than in the first pictures. I'm still hesitant about doing a dye burst on my current build, the test pieces didn't look convincing enough...

For looks I'd change the knobs to black/silver ones to match the hardware. Doesn't affect playability, though.

Well done!