Need help! My project guitar has slightly bad string alignment.

I bought one of these guitars as a project to pass the time while socially distancing (these guitars are absolutely awful, do not buy) https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/Guitar-and-Bass/SubZero-Generation-Electric-Guitar-Jet-Black/2C62

I have worked a lot on this guitar (replaced all the electronics and pickups, added a killswitch, replaced the hardware, sanded down the poly from a shiny and sticky finish to a smooth satin finish, changed the radius of the fretboard and replaced the frets with SS frets) but there is still one more problem. The guitar neck is slightly crooked and it causes the high E-string to be really close to the edge of the fretboard and keeps slipping off the edge of the fretboard. I have tried the trick of loosening the screws that connect the neck to the body and kinda gently forcing the neck to be straight (kinda like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJNrG2iqBO4).

The problem is that when I tighten back the screws it forces the neck back in to the original position in the neck pocket and the problem of high E-string being close to the fretboard edge still persists. I think the neck pocket itself is the right size, but it is crooked and I need to slightly widen the neck pocket.

The question is which side of the neck pocket should I widen and how? My instinct says that I need to widen the low E-string side of the neck pocket, because I want to be able to move the neck more to that direction. Is my instinct right? How should I do this? I do not have fancy tools, but I do have sandpaper/files/straight edges that I can attach sandpaper to etch.

8 hours ago, Groop said:

these guitars are absolutely awful, do not buy

Doesn't the name already give a hint of that? Sub Zero...

Anyhow, if I've understood your issue correctly your high E string follows the red line? If so, you can try shimming the neck pocket as shown. The illustration is highly exaggerated for clarity. If there's any space, all you may need is a piece or two of a soda can. Start with a piece long enough to cover the two highest frets. If that's not enough, add more layers - for a wedge shape cut the slices to different lengths or fold the slice.

kuva.png.6512a359c235a5da275880e3b699cc31.png

If there's absolutely no space for the tiniest wedge, the destructive method is to carefully reshape the upper side of the pocket starting from the 19th fret. In that case you'd have to widen it at the opening side, leaving the pickup end as is - or if you're more of a visual type, turn the triangle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charlie H 72 said:

In addition to what biz said above, you’ll want to slightly enlarge the neck bolt holes on the body so the neck can comfortably shift to its new spot. This will require a drill. If you dont have one-find somebody that does. See this thread for some more details about how/why to widen the holes. 

Thanks for all the tips and linking to another thread with more tips and tricks! Unfortunately the link you put gives me this result :(

kuva.thumb.png.69c6ec6eaf0b13a25fb664c0ccacbdc5.png