smallest size band saw to resaw wood?

renablistic

Whats th esmallest size bandsaw i could use to resaw wood, like a piece of wood half the size of the guitar body to resaw into a top or something? this is too small for just about anything, right?

This one looks like it's got good clearance. I need the cheapest one possible...

Oh yeah! My girlfriend's mom works at the local harbourfreight store, and she MIGHT be able to get me a discount! I love this girl! I think i'm gonna marry her! (no i won't)

To resaw a top you need about 7" of clearance. The Delta 10" was the smallest, cheapest bandsaw I knew of that could do that, but I think they discontiued it. This is why I'm just gonna go ahead and get the Delta 14" with riser, then I can resaw 12" thick!

I think I asked this once before but I forget the answer (and I'm feeling too lazy this morning to hunt it down) - what about horsepower? I have a 14" JET bandsaw with a 1HP motor. I've been thinking about getting the riser and attempt some resawing but I'm concerned about the HP - is it enough?

Also - I would think that bearing blade guides would be a good idea if you're going to resaw. Not so much for keeping the blade straight but to reduce as much friction as possible. It may not be a big factor but I bought some for my bandsaw a while ago and I love them.

Power is everything. Many motors are rated at 1hp, but will only develop that power not under load. In theory, a 1hp with a riser block CAN cut 12in of wood....but what type of wood? Surely, resawing 12in of purpleheart is out of the question. One should be able to resaw 7-8in of maple or Mahogany without too much trouble....make sure you have a sharp, aggressive blade so the saw dust can clear.....sawdust build-up can rob you of a great deal of power. I resaw on a 7.5hp, 36in Powermatic bandsaw........It will cut up to 20in of whatever you push at it......I did a resaw on some 16in Pheart this past week......the saw never broke a sweat!

If you guys need something cut....feel free to contact me.

Greg