Help with wood choice?

Fhuytufty

I am planning a seven string guitar build that will begin around the beginning of fall, as it will be for a school project for my senior year. This will be my third build by then, the first being a telecaster that I built and did an illustration on. I am planning to post pictures of that once it is fully complete, but the finishing process will take a bit to complete. The second will be a five string fretless bass that I am building this summer.
      Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I’ve decided that I want to have a full natural wood look instead of painting it, and I need some help deciding on wood. I’d like to have a Swamp Ash body, a Wenge neck, and a Pale Moon Ebony fretboard. I haven’t been able to decide on a top for it though. I was thinking maybe Claro Walnut? What do you guys think would look nice to really accentuate the Pale Moon Ebony. If you have any suggestions for changes in the neck or body wood I’d love to hear them as well. I am planning on making it in a similar style as Skervesen Guitars Raptor or Nubelung models if that helps at all. 

7 hours ago, Fhuytufty said:

What do you guys think would look nice to really accentuate the Pale Moon Ebony.

It’s was fun for me to hear your story,

I’m a retired teacher and have made all my guitars with natural finishes, but have been thinking about making a painted one.

My suggestion is to just keep looking at guitars with different top woods and pick a favorite.

To me, the Claro seems like a good choice, the relatively solid dark color against the two tone effect of the Ebony.  

Are you familiar with the two part staining technique where you put on a dark stain, sand most of it off, then apply a colored stain. 

The dark areas then highlight the grain patterns which can combine the wild colors of paint with the natural patterns of the wood.

Here the deal with the swamp ash blocks.

26 x 8 x 2 in. (one has a little tear out on one end (1/2 in. maybe) should be able to work around it)

As is they weigh about 15 lbs.

I actually just ran them through my drum sander not too long ago so they are nice and flat, sanded to 120 in think.

I can cut them to length, but don't really have a good way to split them width wise.

As I told you they were given to me by another teacher so passing them along to a student would make us both happy.

Probably a good idea to stick with the Claro Walnut idea, best to pick what appeals to you rather than be influenced by other opinions.

Besides, most of us here are grown-ups so we don't know much anyway.

Now the trick is to find a piece with grain you like, was looking at ebay adds today, it's kind of expensive, but worth it I guess if it leads to a cool looking instrument.

If you haven't already seen it, there's one series of videos on YouTube (Clarity Custom) that's a pretty cool natural finish over the top walnut guitar.

Get back to me via. a message on the details.

20220502_170759.jpg

20220502_170831.jpg

20220502_170850.jpg

20220502_171033.jpg

• 3 weeks later...