LP style build

nakedzen

I've never been able to gel with LP's. I think they look great but have always felt cramped to play. Maybe it's the short scale. But now I've decided to try one myself to get over the love/hate relationship.

Sandwitch body, 44mm mahogany back, 10mm flame maple plus 10mm figured mahogany top.

Multilam neck, haven't decided the woods yet. Maybe padauk and maple?

Handwound humbuckers made by myself.

I intend to carve the body so that the flamed maple shows through like in the template.

20220924_113625.thumb.jpg.6196788fb6f07b43161fdfd86217af6a.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely winding setup :) I like the “what ever get’s the job done” attitude. I have tendency to spend too much time building tools and jigs that I only use once.

I would like to try winding. Where do you buy your wire? Last week I was in the neighborhood and visited Uraltone in Helsinki to buy some screws and stuff but they don’t have pickup wire in stock right now.

• Like 1

Thanks. I try to avoid ordering from US and UK (after brexit). Because taxes and shipping costs and all the hassle with customs.

I’ll see what I can find within EU when I’m ready to start experimenting. Because I reckon it will take some time to get the process perfected. I have (good/bad) habit to buy material in advance. Just in case it’s needed some day. Anyway there is substantial investment in all the parts for pickups. Maybe a kit like yours would be a good way to get started after all.

That's a king size sandwich for sure! How much thickness you have there?

Btw. thanks for the Nebula link. Orderer some wire and stuff. Most likely way more than I ever need. I'm going to wind a four pole dulcimer pickup for starters. Then I also got some hardware for humbuckers too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nakedzen said:

About 2" at side (varies), 2 1/2" at center if I recall corretly. Someone can pitch in if this is wrong?

I believe it’s correct and 2 1/2” definitely sounds like a number I have heard before. I guess I never really thought it in millimeters before.

• Like 1