No Pot Build

Sevan

Is it possible to do a no pot build? I recently shaped a les paul body with a bolt-on neck and no control cavity. I am just starting out and don't have any templates. I drilled a hole directly from the pickup cavity to an output jack. I also drilled a hole to ground the bridge. Both the output jack and bridge are soldered to a piece of shielding tape in the pickup cavity. I am still getting a bad hum even with a humbucker. Any suggestions other than route a control cavity and add a pot?

Adding a pot by itself won't alter the hum; you have something more fundamental going on that is causing the issue. If you can post some pics of the wiring it would help us to diagnose the issue.

A no-pot wiring scheme should be as simple as connecting the hot output of the pickup directly to the tip connection of the jack, and the ground output of the pickup directly to the sleeve connection of the output jack. The bridge ground would also be wired to the output jack sleeve connection.