Jackson Rhodes V upgrade

NEW GUITAR DAY

I was killing time, browsing through Facebook marketplace, when I came across this Jackson Performer Rhodes V. I looked up what they're going for on Reverb, offered the dude $200, and he bit. Realistically, since it came with a Charvell/Jackson molded case, it's a steal. The case alone should be $50-75 used.

20221002_092653.thumb.jpg.b574427c54e490ac1963004301c9f205.jpg

20221002_092707.thumb.jpg.a6362127a0d0e87dd9a0c7ee6874f1d7.jpg

20221002_092731.thumb.jpg.becda1daa8900b1f77a0704f3dcdc58f.jpg

The camera is lightening up the color quite a bit. It's really a LOT darker than that... kinda blackish brown. We're calling it Root Beer. 

Anyway, the p/g has no screws in it, the pickups are crap, and it has the wrong trem (which is also pretty screwed up). I have a set of zebra DiMarzios I've had lying around for close to a decade, so they're going into it. A went on eBay and found a black Jackson F/R trem for $70 shipped. I then went on Amazon and bought some cream pickup rings and a cream p/g blank to make a new plate from, as well as a pair of 1M CTS pots. 

When it's done, prolly next weekend, I'll have a $300 investment that will play & sound like an ax 2x-3x the price. 

Reminds me of the Jackson Dinky I sold recently - bought in bits, missing its pots but with the original pickups and Floyd Rose so I reckoned that even if I couldn't rebuild it to something playable I could get back what I'd paid  by selling the parts. As it was, it did come back to life and better than it would originally have been - the humbuckers were tappable but hadn't been, so two push-pull pots were fitted for coil tap and series-parallel switching. I was pleased with the result, and so was the buyer

image.thumb.jpeg.1f83c87af13d80b190f20437e7665bae.jpeg

The cream p/g blank, pup ring, pots, and Jackson F/R trem came in this week. I ordered a pair of rings, but the nitwit in China only charged/shipped one. Just as well as the color doesn't match the p/g blank. I'll just make a pair from the leftover blank. At least the color will match that way. 

On 10/2/2022 at 10:41 PM, avengers63 said:

The camera is lightening up the color quite a bit. It's really a LOT darker than that... kinda blackish brown 

Funny how that happens. I quite often spend a lot of time taking photos to get the results I want, trying different lighting and so forth