My Sweet Smelling Cedar AXE!!

Starting my new Tele-style project. I was pleased to discover the wood that I salvaged was red Cedar! I am going to use Cedar oil to preserve that wonderful smell, it is beautiful wood! I think I may do an HH configuration..I will NOT be copying the Fender and my guitar would NEVER be mistaken for one - I just like the basic body style!!  This will be for ME, as it is my 2nd build.

Really loving the way this Cedar looks. I found a bunch of this and jointed it, planed it and glued it together. I'm really thinking about just keeping it natural like that with only a Cedar oil finish and a super super fine sanding.

Neck is going to be made out of reclaimed oak slabs, very nice wood!! And my Bloodwood fretboard material will go great!

I am wondering if I should do a traditional Tele style neck, or if I should do an angled neck and headstock with scarf joint.  What do you think?

20221024_163606.jpg

13 hours ago, spindlebox said:

I was pleased to discover the wood that I salvaged was red Cedar!

Nice to hear you could identify it! It looks good and for what I've learned it also behaves well.

13 hours ago, spindlebox said:

I am wondering if I should do a traditional Tele style neck, or if I should do an angled neck and headstock with scarf joint.  What do you think?

There's pros and cons in both. The Tele style is easier in regard to carving the neck pocket, both bolt-on and glued. You can get a perfectly solid neck joint without having to think about the right angle etc. The cons... An angled neck requires a taller bridge which means you can get more space below the strings and possibly more tension against the body. Also, a neck break angle sort of surrounds the player which can be easier for the right arm. An angled headstock serves the same pressure related purpose at the nut. String trees do the same but they may grab the string when bending. Simply put, angles provide a tight string to body contact. But as we've seen during the decades, both ways work. It's more about looks and ergonomics.

26 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

An angled neck requires a taller bridge

I believe, historically speaking, this is the other way around. Neck angle was needed to compensate a tall bridge. A bridge which was essentially copied from other stringed instruments. In which the neck angle served a purpose :) That said, I played a Les Paul long enough to think that there is an ergonomic advantage for me with the neck angle. So I have built my guitars with neck angle and picked/set the hardware to fit.