walnut pickguard

I have got a peavey generation EXP i want to put a walnut pickguard on. I already have the wood. My guitar is sunburst.

I was wondering what color(s) would look good to stain/finish the pickguard.

Also, any resources/information out there for the best possible way to get a nice, high quality finish on it?

Please let me know by emailing me adavis@intrannuity.net

THANKS!

Because of the abuse it will take, I would recommend an epoxy "bar top" finish. You mix the two parts together, and just pour it on. It's the stuff they pour over playing cards or coins or whatever goofy thing they want stuck in a table top. That will be the most like putting clear pickguard material over it. Otherwise you have your pick of the basic guitar finishing materials.

It's been a long time since I've used it for anything, but here're some things I remember. Its self leveling, so its crucial that on something like a pickguard you have it on a level surface. Not just flat, but level. How much you pour determines the thickness of the finish, unless its a smaller item and the finish all runs off the sides. You can sand and buff it. It's just real hard like a Japanese or Korean factory poly finish. (but that's good for a pickguard) You can "help" it to run along with something like scrap wood or a foam brush if you see it's not going into a certain place, but you only get one chance for a dust-free finish. (so like, don't sneeze or lean over it until all the lint in your shirt pocket falls out) And make sure whatever you're using is dust free. And finally you'll have to work the edges. You'll get drips and runs down the edge that you can just clean off with a blade, belt sander, sanding block, or all of the above. You can even wipe them up to get a head start before it dries.

I just did my kitchen table with the stuff. What fun!

1. Be prepared for a mess. The best results i got were to allow lots of run off.

2. Mixing equal parts is crucial. The dust free thing is important this stuff takes a while to set up fully.(easier with a pg than a table)

3. It should go without saying but use gloves.

Have fun!

That nasty two part stuff would be your best choice but I have used just an old fashioned poly with pretty good results. It will scratch up a bit but it doesn't seem any worse than regular pick guard material. I just put the poly on thick enough to withstand polishing a few times in it's lifespan. A little scratch and swirl compound and it looks good as new again.

Schecter%20PGs.jpg