Inlay Repair?

Do I see right, is there a binding channel at the edge?

On my screen the fretboard on the upper photo is a full 5" on my screen so I had to do some math to figure out how small the damage actually is. My math says it's about 1.7 mm or 1/16",  is that correct?

8 hours ago, spindlebox said:

What would you do?

I would start with the smallest amount of work, for such dark wood even glue and dust might fix the damage as the binding (if there's one) would both support and mask that. Remember that oiling the fretboard will make the inlay even darker.

If the glue and dust doesn't look good enough, cleaning the edge and replacing a small chip is the next option.

If even that looks awful, re-routing is the last option. Note that routing just the inlay away without enlarging the slot can be challenging. Similarly if you leave just a smidgen of the old inlay that will be visible.

There is no binding channel - YET.  I am going to do binding, but the damage is more like 2.5-3mm from the edge.

I am almost leaning towards re-routing the inlay - perhaps carefully scoring DEEP as I can around it to make it easier to chip away.  Though it wouldn't hurt to start with a small patch.  I just think you'll really be able to see it.

5 hours ago, spindlebox said:

There is no binding channel - YET.  I am going to do binding, but the damage is more like 2.5-3mm from the edge.

So are you going to rout a binding channel over the damage? Wouldn't that diminish the patch area to 0.5-1 mm?

It might, but upon closer inspection, the inlay isn't seated, and that's why that happened. So it would be best to just route it out.

Since the inlay is to both edges, it will be fairly easy to tight fit another triangle, cut slightly wider and slide in from the long end until it's snug! 

1 hour ago, spindlebox said:

Since the inlay is to both edges, it will be fairly easy to tight fit another triangle, cut slightly wider and slide in from the long end until it's snug! 

Good planning! And since it's not properly seated that might well be the way of least effort.