Experience level

angry_jeremy

How many have you built?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

my first is being setup or is set up as we speak, the second is in the process on hold for a few more weeks till i get back from school, and then prolly 3 or 4 more this summer, some are for friends tho and i get to learn some more, ive also refinished my V i got of the bay

MzI

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

gosh it started when I realized my sg was only a piece of painted wood, and that I had access to a **** ton of tools and wood. Plus my gramps was a master builder and I loved watching him work. I always said when I get the chance I will build a guitar. Well After getting laid off why not try it?

hence 1 guitar has become a great business to boot, and if I get some funding I will start to crank out guitar blanks - bodies and necks.

Everything on a guitar can be played around with, its a great thing, its like messing around with a car but with out droppin 20g's on space and tools. I am going to drop around 5g's into tools and I will have the ability to run a small custom wood shop.

BTW I hate doing repairs. You get this shitty guitar in that a kid paid 500 bucks for and he thinks that its the best thing ever. so you start to point out some problems and that a re-fret might solve some not all of the action problems, and he is like ***... I tell him its wood and that it moves, thats life, whole houses settle. I only repair what I make makes life easier. I resawed the wood I cut it let it dry finished it. If there is a problem I will know why.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

What I've done so far (all the stuff I did myself is in parantheses):

Done:

LP copy set neck (body from scratch, finish, fret job, set-up; for a friend)

12-string Strat (body from scratch, finish, set-up)

Travel guitar (body & neck from scratch, finish, frets, set-up)

In progress (meaning I've begun cuttting wood; in order of 'closest to done'):

12/6 doubleneck Strat (necks from scratch, highly modded Warmoth body)

5-string neck-thru bass (from scratch)

F5 mandolin (from scratch)

5-string archtop bass (from scratch)

6-string archtop (from scratch)

In planning:

Fanatically accurate repro relic Broadcaster

7-string or baritone archtop (can't decide)

maybe a 7-string shredder (but I'm not really a metal guy)

I already have a stock 1981 LP Custom and a 1992 Fender Strat (stock w/Lace Holy Grails). I'm going for variety here...after this list, I honestly can't think of another guitar to build that would add something tonally significant. So then I'd build just for friends (or "clients" if it gets that far).

well,

tinkered with soo many, helped build a kit guitar a few years ago, then did alot more with the 31 fret guitar. recently just finished my RR V which i just gigged with at an amateur talent show. there were 800+ ppl there, easily! i will ul a vid asap.

plans to build a 7 string RG for a client, just awaiting parts from UJ.

also building an explorer for another client, awaiting payment.

gotta build a new neck, and fix a totally trashed guitar for a client - awaiting payment.

build a 6 string of sorts for general sales, try get some cash!

thats it basically, HAHA bye bye college loan :D

Mike

I built my first bass totally from scratch Feb-May 2003. Then I built 20 (necks from carvin) basses Jan-April 2004, while I worked full time at Damman Basses, a very small operation. While the Damman verticals are not for everyone- while I was there we sold one to both the bass player and fiddle player for Dave MAthew's Band.

Miscellaneous repairs on my instruments and those of freinds/acquaintances.

Execution of "prototypes" of some new designs are in the works. I have high hopes for constantly improving my designs and woodworking skills. All the while I am dreaming up ways to make building more efficient so that I might be able to sell future basses at prices that are not insanely high- musicians certainly are not the wealthiest people-Dave Mathews Band members are a few of the exceptions to the rule.

Peace,

Ryan

'how about:

in the middle of my first? i've gone past researching/designing it. i'm now just saving up money for random parts for it.