Neck router

woodfab

OK, I hate rounding necks.

So after thinking about for a while I came up with this router jig.

Well it failed big time. The router is mounted on two 8mm rails which I had kicking around, which seamed OK.

Once I started cutting the router jumped all over the surface, under cutting and over cutting. ARRRRRRRRRR!

Well tonight I'm ordering some heaver rails and bearings, maybe 5/8" rails.

DSC_1034.JPG

DSC_1035.JPG

• Like 1

Gotta love your attempts trying to make certain tasks easier, taking into account the time you use planning and building them I guess you could have made the actual task several times. But that's how inventions are made! 20% of innovation, 80% hard work of testing and rebuilding... Or something like that. Besides, you have both the engineering skills and equipment, and some rails and other stuff at hand so why not? My attempt for such a tool would be something like a router tied to a flexible willow branch with bungee cord...

Cool. That is a different take. 20 mm rods and you should be golden. 

I have been pondering a neck jig from time to time and made some drawings too. Thing is, I don't do that many necks that I would really need one. As a project of it own it is interesting though. 

Here's one explanation of the more common principle:
https://www.kappi.com/blog/2018/12/diy-plan-for-neck-router-jig/

Construction on that is what it is, but it doesn't require any special tools to build. My plans use essentially the same principle but use a steel frame so the construction is different. 

• 2 weeks later...

That neck router jig looks pretty good.

I 'm attempting to make my jig so it can be used even if the body is on the guitar.

I dug through my junk and found some heavier rails and bearings.

I'm ready for the 1st. test on a piece of mahogany.

I don't want to spend to much time on dust collection until I know it will do the job.

DSC_1058.JPG

DSC_1057.JPG

DSC_1059.JPG

Lookin good!

7 minutes ago, woodfab said:

I 'm attempting to make my jig so it can be used even if the body is on the guitar.

That’s great! With my history of changing profiles after finishing a guitar I would love that kind of re-profiling feature. Although I guess your reason is to able to shape a neck on a neck-through guitar. Which of course is a great feature too.

I must admit that the last photo is the first one where I actually understood how that works! But hey, I have studied to become a bookkeeper (never worked as such) and later a PC techie or rather a local helpdesk.

Oh, and the last photo shows even to my untrained eyes and brain that the thing really should work as long as the end posts stay aligned. I could even see that design being sold at a Chinese web shop like Banggood, they seem to have quite a lot of router cradles and other woodworking gear made of aluminium on their list.

• 2 weeks later...