Guitar pickup system (Practical electronics April 1970)

henrim

Does this work, or is it April fools?
I especially like this sentence: "A large range of bizarre effects can also be obtained by waving a powerful magnet around near the strings".

Occassionally I like to read these old publications like Practical Electronics. Mostly for 70's synth stuff, but there are other interesting articles too. https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Practical_Electronics.htm

gpus.png

I think it will work, but I suspect it will give pretty unpredictable results. Output will be ultra-weak (project notes warn of this) and results obtained will be largely dependent on the specs on that transformer, for which none are provided, and the awesomeness of the preamp, which won't be that awesome :P

Possibly a fun noise-making experiment, but beyond that..?

• Like 1

Thanks. Yes, the preamp is rather rudimentary. But that could be tweaked if the principle works. I think it would be fun to test this sometime if I can find some free/cheap transformers. I think all the audio transformers I have are isolation transformers with 1:1 ratio ( like 10k/10K), which won’t be good. I do have plenty copper wire though…