More Nuts..

well there are quite a lot of places you can buy guitars nuts and nut files on the internet. however, i do not make my own nuts, simply because the files cost nearly or about $100 and since it is one of the last things you do when you build a guitar, wouldn't you want to just buy a pre-slotted nut, glue it on and start playing or take a while and file an unslotted nut? i only get pre-slotted nuts and i get my nuts from here: Graph Tech Guitar Labs they make preslotted [and unslotted nuts.] so all you have to do is get the right size and glue on and play. if you are looking for graphite nuts, take a look at the Trem-Nut. or if you are looking at bone like nuts, take look at Tusq nuts. i hope this helps. :D

What kind of action can you get at the first fret with a pre-slotted nut that you don't even modify the slots on ? I guess you can sand the bottom to lower it, but if the radius isn't a perfect match, it seems some of the strings would need to sit a bit higher than needed just to keep some other strings from sitting too low. Like a floyd locking nut, which I hate to use.

Someone I know slots his own nuts but doesn't use files. He's got some feeler guages and serated one edge of each one. You can put them together to form the right thickness and saw a slot in the nut.

You can get templates to cut the nut in the right place from StewMac. I don't know if he uses one or not though.

Hotrock Posted on Feb 26 2004, 06:50 AM

Someone I know slots his own nuts but doesn't use files. He's got some feeler guages and serated one edge of each one. You can put them together to form the right thickness and saw a slot in the nut.

yeah my uncle changed the parts on his jap fender fat strat to make it more like his Jeff Beck Custom Fender Strat. he put a wilkinson bridge, sperzel tuners, some high output pickups and a new nut on it. he used some kitchen knives and a razorblade to slot his nut. it is probably easier to file them with real nut slotting files, but i still think they are expensive. either way, you can slot your own nut with proper slotting files [expensive] or slot the nut using what is at your diposal [cheap] or you buy a pre-slotted nut. [lazy]