Looking for a guitar

pickleweaseler

look at jackson and esp and everyone else will say ibanez personally not a fan of em but all those brands basically the super strats you should be able to find something in that price range with cheap pickups that could be replaced to make a decent guitar

MzI

I think the RG320 (ibanez) is in that price range.

Ibanez is the way to go. Get the most expensive Ibanez you can get. You WILL get what you pay for, and more. not true with fender or gibson. Also, Schecter is really nice. try to pick up one of the floor models they use at guitar center. You can always get a cheaper instrument just cause of one small scratch on the back or something...

For my tuppence (or 50 cents) worth ...

Ibanez - I love them, I own them, but you pay for the name without a doubt. I also own a Vintage VH51 (an EVH copy). It has two humbuckers, a flame maple top (although about 1/8" thick, if that!), a licensed floyd and it cost me £179. It doesn't play as good as my RG550 (yet!), but it cost a third of the price

You know that in the sort of price range you are looking for that hardware is not going to be great, i.e. licensed floyds, in-house built pickups, cheapo machines etc.

If I were you, I'd first look around for something scond-hand, you could probably pick up a higher spec Ibanez (RG550, 560 or similar) that will be Japanese made (instead of Korean), with better hardware. Or, if you're that way inclined, pick up a lower spec s/h guitar and replace some of the parts as you see fit. I use Ibanez as an example because I know about them, of course there will be s/h Jacksons or ESP's or whatever takes you fancy.

Finally, word of warning, steer away from eBay, stick to the local papers or shops.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't planning on buying used through mail order (ebay).

As far as local papers go, I live in a major metropolitan area. There are dozens of guitar stores in my area. Any garbage that can't be sold to those stores ends up in the paper.

Do all Ibanezes with Floyd Rose® systems have the Edge system that everyone is in love with?

I'd say be careful with low-end Jacksons. Everyone I know who's had one has been disappointed. I'll agree with everyone else and say look for a used Ibanez RG or S. Try to stay away from model numbers less than 450 :D

Sorry to sidetrack, but would class the Jackson DXMG as a low-end Jackson? Cause im looking at one of those at the moment B)

- Dan