wood filler

Hi! Thought I should share this with you guys.. might come in handy.

Maybe im the only one, but I always had a tough time making usable woodfiller. It would always come out of the cracks when I tried to rub it in.

Heres something I just discovered. It saved a lot of time and produced great results:

fill the crevice with glue. Then hold a block of the wood you want to make filler dust out of over the crack. Using a dremel with a high-grit sanding cylinder attachment, sand the wood at high speed as close as possible to the glue-filled crack. The sawdust will be stick to the wet glue. This will produce VERY fine sawdust that can be easily pressed further into the crevice if necessary. The result- a perfectly filled unnoticeable repair.

I found this out when I got some chipping when routing my binding channel.

Hope this helps someone!

I did this on a box I built a while back, to fill uneven corners. What I did is used clear laquer, squirted it into the crack using a small syringe, and then patted the fine sawdust onto the top. I found that it works best to store fine sawdust in a film canister, so you can just pour/tap it onto the filled cracks.

I save the dust during fret-board leveling jobs. Not every spec, but I'll use a plastic credit card to scrape much of it onto a piece of thin carboard that already has a crease folded down the middle , so I can pour the dust into a small container easier. I like to have the dust in various grits too, then mix a little of all the grits when making my own filler with epoxy and saw dust. It's often good to have a lot of the more coarse pieces of sawdust, then the finer grits fill in where the more coarse pieces can't. I use film canisters too (ran out, so now it's plastic bags) But I glued one half of velcro on the canister lids, then the other velcro halves under the shelves in my tool cabinet, so the canisters hang from under the shelves, pretty much out of the way.

Wish I knew of a way to make epoxy/maple filler that doesn't turn so dark from the glue soaking in.