Pros cons of Tung oil neck finishVSLacquer

tung oil finish on a neck feels very nice,but you take a higher risk of moisture related problems down the road,plus it collects dirt and finger grime

you can take 0000 steel wool and lightly rub it against a laquer finish on the neck,and it will feel slicker,but it will dull the finish a bit

I love a tung oiled neck. I'm willing to risk having less protection against moisture to have that feel. But on the same hand I can certainly respect the other side of the coin and might change my mind if I ever have a neck pretzel on me. :D

if i may make a suggestion.there are woods which do not require a finish because of their natural oils or great stability.

instead of a maple neck,use bocote or rosewood.bocote especially is super tough,requires no finish,and looks good to boot.and you can finish it if you choose.tung oil darkens the grain and makes it look even nicer.or you can laquer over it like i did on my carved top fretboard

Did you guys ever mix tung oil and a little poly?

A lot of the tung oils have varying amounts of poly added. If it says high gloss it's the poly that is giving the gloss.

While I have only used a blend with as low a poly content as I could find I have to agree with westermann, one or the other is best. Find a good pure tung oil.

Is tru oil polymerized?

Bocote is generally lighter than most of the Rosewoods while still being an 'oily' wood, so Wes is right about the Bocote, good choice for an unfinished neck wood, ...but a genuine Rosewood neck would be sooooo heavy, don't know about y'all, but it would kill me. :D

I spent a good bit of time experimenting with neck finishes in an attempt to get away from the "lacquer" feel, but still provide adequate protection. Before Stew-mac carried it, I tried a Gel finish. Just wiped it on, let it dry, and buffed it back with steel wool. This stuff is great...I've been using it on every neck since my first experiement with it. Highly recommend that you give it a shot!