wtf? bass notation

renablistic

B):D:D I got my music to play bass in the school band, and right next to the bass cleff (the left "C" thing) there is a flat symbol! What does it mean? my trumpeter says on the trebel cleff it means all Bs are flat... but he's unsure of what it means on bass cleff. :D

Also, theres a a sharp sign next to another bass cleff, and like 5 flat signs next to another... B)

help....

please...

:D

Quick lesson:

Bass clef is also called F-clef because the two dots like surround the F line. The treble clef is also called G-clef because the end of the little swirl is around the G line.

The flat and sharp symbols right after the clef tell you what key the music is in, and by doing so tell you which notes are sharp/flat. For example, if there is a flat symbol on the F line, ALL F's are flat. This way, the music doesn't get cluttered up with accidental symbols.

You may also see a 'natural' symbol - it looks like a square with a line attached to the bottom-right corner and a line attached to the top-left corner. This means to play the note as it is written. For example, if there was a flat sign on the F line, you would play all F's as F flat, but if there was a natural sign written before an F, you would play it as F natural, or 'normal' F instead of flat.

Hope this makes sense!