first project

So anyhows I plan on building a 5 string 36" scale fretted neck-through for my first project. Probably a little ambitious but who cares I am semi-experienced w/ wood-working, etc. so hopefully it won't be too bad.

I stopped by Owl Hardwoods in Lombard, IL a few weeks ago and picked up the following:

Black Walnut for body wings

Purpleheart for neck "stringers" I think they're called

Bubinga (thin) for - well I'm not sure what I'll use it for yet

Hard rock straight-grained maple for neck

And from LMII a few weeks back I also got 2 cocobolo fretboards and 2 pau ferro fretboards. The pau ferro looks great w/ the walnut, but I'd love to use the cocobolo sometime, but maybe for my next project when I'm feeling toxic.

I may use the bubinga for neck laminates, for wing laminates or for accent pieces, or hold off for the next one.

The problem is I have so much wood trim I'm making for the house that it will take me a while just to get started on this, so please don't expect pictures soon! I'm probably getting a Hipshot A bridge, Gotoh compact or Sperzel tuners and probably EMG DC pickups, active, etc.

Wish me luck. Right now I'm finalizing the body shape (don't expect anything too original!) and headstock shape (well actually I haven't started the headstock shape) then I'll do a full scale drawing and get rolling. I have a bet w/ a co-worker that I'll get it done by March 16 of 2005!!! We'll see what happens.

I was reluctant to even post this much so far since the project is probably too far in the future, but I'm excited about it and wanted to at least mention what I have so far!!

Thanks for listening!!

True, true, but it was only for lunch (like $5) and I really don't care if I end up having to buy him lunch. It is much more important to me to have a great end result, or at least know it was my best attempt. Screw time! It was kind of a little extra motivation, but I hear what you're saying. This guy bets on anything and everything. I think he has a problem!!!

Thanks for the warning, and trust me- there's nothing I want more than to have this thing done right. If it tells ya anything, I've had the wood for about a month now and 3 guitarmaking books for months, but haven't even touched the wood because I'm still planning out everything.

I'm not very competitive at all but I do research something to death when I get involved in it. So I think I'll be fine!!

Thanks for the comments, I can't wait to show it off. Oh man I hope it doesn't look like a turd...

• 7 months later...

Ah, the summer has come and gone, winter is upon us, I started this post in April and haven't done a thing in months!! BUT I recently began concentrating on it and made some progress. I suppose I should get some pictures together...

Anyhow I learned a couple of things from my mistakes despite much reading of books and this site. Often just diving in and doing something is the best way for me to REALLY learn.

-My 3 laminates for the neck blank were not "parallel". I jointed them very well and they're square to the sides, but the wide faces were not parallel with each other, meaning once I laminated them together, the purpleheart center stringer basically tapers. I was not discouraged, I simply wrote this down as an excuse to get a planer. I've seen tapered laminates and although it wasn't my original design, as long as I draw an accurate centerline and work from that it won't matter. I believe the taper was only a 1/8" difference over about 47". In fact I'm calling it a "feature" not a problem...

-After jointing the wood, my neck blank is not quite wide enough near the body for my 5-string bass. I'm going to stick w/ the 5 string plan, and just glue additional maple onto the sides of the blank. No biggie, but I should've bought thicker stock to allow for more jointing than I thought I needed.

-I already drew the side plan on the neck blank before realizing I have to glue more maple onto the sides. Being new at this, it took me at least 30 min. to draw it all on there since I went so slow and my measurements for various things were on like 5 different pieces of paper.

So perhaps other newbies can learn from my mistakes, I know I have and this will help me should I decide to build another...

I'll get some pictures up soon so everyone can have a good laugh!!! ha ha just kidding.