Jump to content



Recommended Posts

Hi guys ,

I was wondering if this(bondo) is normal in factory production guitars cause I am refinishing a guitar I bought a few months ago and Brian posted the pics of it here and there is this stuff on it that looks like bondo and is a real pain to sand off.

would be greatfull for any answer from pro or master builders here in the forum,you know who you are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is getting pretty common - the stuff they usually use is called p38 filler - its widely used in the auto industry - custom sprayers use it a lot as a base coat on bike parts as it dries really quickly, is rock hard and sands very smooth to give a good base for your paints.

The Japanese makers used a clear version a lot in the 80's as well to go under transparant finishes.

Easiest way to remove it is to heat it with a blow torch until the top surface just begins to darken, it then goes really crumbly and you can take it off with a scraper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...