trussrod rattling

hey all,

I finally assembled my first entirely self made guitar. besides some minor problems (like a tremelo that has too wide sadles..:-( it sounds just great.... however, I screwed up the trussrod routing installation because it rattles a bit.

I made two necks, so I could easily replace the neck, but I want to use that first neck.

I think I made the trussrod channel too deep/wide. What should I do?

1. Remove the fretboard, fill the channel with scrapwood and re-root?

2. Remove the fretboard, put in alot of slicon sealer?

3. remove a few frets, drill a small hole in the fretboard and squirt silicon sealer with a syringe into the trussrod channel?

4. Quit building and spend more time on playing...:-)

Coen

Guest AlexVDL

I'll check on Master Luthier Sjak Zwier on that tomorrow. Will let you know as soon as possible.

As for me, I would try to dril the hole and use the silicon sealer. As long as it's a flexible material so it won't get's in the way of the rod. Can't imagine the material because I never used it before, but it sounds useable to me. Silicon won't harm the wood.

I should try that before taking off the whole fretboard B)

Good luck :D:D:D

silicoln sealer is a wonderful substance that i use alot around the house.it is very flexible and is used for windows,bathtubs,and any where else you would otherwise use latex caulk.i think that might work for your purpose but it is very thick so you might have to remove the fretboard,i don't think it would squeeze through the tiny hole you are speaking of.one idea though.what about drilling through your inlays(assuming they are dots)and replacing them after you fill.i don't know if that would work as i am more familiar with silicoln than i am with fretboard work.i am sure someone else would know better than i.i will tell you though next time you caulk your bathtub use silicoln instead of latex as it will not mold like latex will.

I've never understood how a trussrod that is tensioned properly and working in the neck as it should can rattle anyway, I've never had that problem. I would check to make sure it's actually tight in the neck (just snug, but tightened) before I try adding anything or pulling fretboards. Unless you REALLY screwed up the route :D

LGM,

Okay, I understand the "tone" in your reply and you're right. You have to be really stupid to screw up a trussrod channel so bad that it'll start to rattle.

I made a new posting in which I explained what happened. The damn trussrod is at fault! The channel was routed okay.

See the pic.... I agree with you... If you're so stupid to screw up a trussrod channel, you shouldn't build a guitar..:-)

Coen

trussrod.jpg