help!

donbenjy

hey, im currently saving (yes saving. im only 15 ) for a seymour duncan bridge hotrail on my strat and wanted a couple of mods added as well. i want to coil tap the p/u and i also want to have all three p.us on at once which would involve new push/pull pots. now, as i have no cash and wouldnt know how to do the mods, im getting it done by a shop and to save on costs, i was wondering whether it would be cheaper to have the 5 way switch re-wired to have (from top to bottom) neck, neck/mid, mid, bridge, all as im not quite sure if i would miss mid/bridge with a hotrail. the main reason i use the mid/bridge selection is to kill the hum, but with a humbucker, surely it wouldn't work as you'd either have two negative coils and one poz or one neg. and two poz coils so there would be a hum...? unless the mixture of on humbucker and a single coil is a good sound or a dpdt knob is cheap to have installed i cant really see the point if im not gonan use it

has anyone got this setup that could maybe record all combinations (neck, neck-mid, mid, bridge hum, bridge single, neck-mid-humbucker, neck-mid-single) id be grateful, or if people could just give advice? cheers

Just use one coil of the Hotrails in the bridge/middle position - since you're not going to be doing the work yourself, just talk to the guitar tech who does it. Any decent tech can wire it that way in his sleep. A push/pull pot could be used to add a pickup for the all three on setup, and another to split the bridge coils, but your tech can help you out (and should, or you shouldn't part with your hard-earned cash). HTH

ok, cheers. i dunno if i would want to only have on coil wired into the bridge/mid seletion though cos that'd be bit moe expensive and it would also confuse me if the dpdt wasnt working to use the hotrail

If it confuses you, you have too many knobs! :D Seriously, there's no reason why it should be any more difficult (or expensive) to do one or the other. You're only cutting one coil out of the circuit either way - so long as it's the same coil, it won't make any difference. Or you could forget it completely - you'll just have to remember that if you want that second position to sound like a Str*t, you'll have to pull the coil split switch. Different method, same result - do whatever makes you happy, it's your guitar. B)

ok, just sitting with my three single coils and a screwdriver to try and mix up the sounds, the bridge/mid position itsnt really used so ill either get it bypassed and save on a push/pull pot by having neck, neck/mid, mid, bridge, all and have a push/pull to split the coils or just go for the tariditional and have 2 push/pulls with one for turning a pup on (neck? any suggestions?) to use all three and one for single/humbucker.