Finishing a blueburst Tele

kickz28

I have a swamp ash Tele body that I am ready to start finishing. I want to dye it blue (so that I can see the grain) and then use a paint gun (used for cars) to make a black border (making a 2-tone "sunburst"...like fender except blue). Do I need to fill the grain first? What product do I use? Do I apply the dye by spraying it or with a rag? Do I want an alcohol based dye or water based? What kind of paint should I use for the black border? Will car paint work? What kind of clear coat should I use (I want a high-gloss finish like on an American Standard strat that I can see myself in the finish if I look at the correct angle)? Whats the difference between poly and nitro? Should I sand between coats, and how many coats do I apply (for everything: dye, black paint and clear coat). What is the difference between dye and stain?

Do I need to fill the grain first? Nope but you can if you really want to as long as your filler will take a stain and drys clear

What product do I use? See above ^

Do I apply the dye by spraying it or with a rag? Lighly moist on a rag will give you the best control and also allow you to get the desired tint or shade of blue

Do I want an alcohol based dye or water based? Doesn't matter although most people prefer alchol based since water based dye can swell up the veneer and cause it to become unattached from the body if you over do it

What kind of paint should I use for the black border? You can use a rattle can or automotive high end paints, again it depends on your own experience and the equiptment you have available to work with

Will car paint work? Yes see above ^

What kind of clear coat should I use (I want a high-gloss finish like on an American Standard strat that I can see myself in the finish if I look at the correct angle)? For that your going to probably want to use lacquer and buff it out to the best shine possible.

Whats the difference between poly and nitro? One has a plastic base and the other a more volitile petroleum base.

Should I sand between coats. Yes

how many coats do I apply. Depends on how it looks for the dye, for the black I'd recommend two thin coats and for the clear since your going to be fresh at it and probably have a hard time in the finishing and buffing process plenty (3-9)

What is the difference between dye and stain? Dye generally needs to be mixed with something to be applied stain doesn't......(general answer) :D