Pictures here

I got quite a bit done the last 2 days,

Scarf joint is done

Neck is rough shaped

Body wings are glued

Truss rod is routed and installed

headstock is rough shapped

side dots are done on the fretboard

Tomarrow Ill finish shapping the headstock and neck and then glue on the fretboard and maybe start in on the fretleveling and what not

MzI

I just posted 10 more progress pictures

My Webpage

most of the work is done im still waiting for my bridge and tuners to come in, im going tomarrow to pickup my old gibson and my new gibson i just bought so ill see if they are in, im also waiting my inlay material to arrive for the headstock inlay

all thats left to do is route the pickup cavities and drill larger holes for the tuners and mount em along with the bridge, final sanding, and then finishing, im goin away for the weekend so ill have more pics when I get back

MzI

Made a bit more progress tonight, it should be done now but i went away for the weekend, o well it was worth it

so heres a couple pics

Body mock up

Headstock mock up

Body with epoxy grain filler

Back with expoy

I did a mock up with all the parts to make sure everything fit and what not, im still waiting for my flush mount strap locks and i hafta go pickup a truss rod cover

the other body pictures have 2 part epoxy on them for grain filler, it gave a decent preview of how the finish will come out, the mahogany wings have a nice quilt pattern to them, tomarrow ill sand the body down with 220 or 320, stain it black, let it dry sand it back and then another coat of black, hoepfully the figuring in the wood will pop out quite nicely

i did test out the epoxy on a scrap piece and sanded it, it makes the wood like a glass surface

MzI

More progress pictures tonight,

today I sprayed the guitar with 2 part automotive poly, I put 5 coats on and tomarrow ill wet sand it and what not and install parts if I think the paint it hard enough, I also stopped into my local shop and picked up a case for it, they had a fender hard shell case laying around so I picked it up for $50 brand new, Im not competely happy with the way the bass came out, maybe ill change my mind once its finished and i can play it

any ways heres pictures

Front of Body

Back of body

Back of neck

MzI

the bass has been sprayed, did that yesterday, sanded it today and did a quick buff by hand, tomarrow mornin i have to take a ride and find some slip covers for the buffer and finish buffing it out, then im gonna let it sit for a couple days and finish drying and then install all the parts, unfortuanetly im gonna be out at school in Rhode Island so im gonna hafta find a shop that will cut the nut and do a setup for me, of course i took more pictures

so heres some teaser pics before the final buffing and parts being installed

MzI

When I first started looken at this thread I was not to sure about that design working out very well but now I look at and "HOLY $HIT" :D I love that thing it came out so deadly I cant wait to see it all done :D man You realy pulled it off Great work!!

!!METAL MATT!! B)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick rant about stupid people,

Im away at school right now and i have my bass with me, I went to a local shop that was recommended by a couple people to see if I could get the nut cut and the wiring done and a setup, no big deal right. So I called up the shop before I left to see if they did that kinda work they said they did. No problems there. So i drive to the shop, get there the tech isnt there wait around a bit look at the horrible selection of guitar, i was told it was a good selection ha! any ways the tech finally gets back after like 15 mins. So I go over to talk to him show him my bass and everything.

ALright first problem, the nut is already glued in. he said O no you cant do that its too much work for me like that and it would cost you too much. Ok whatever. then he asks what kinda material the nut is, so I told him its bone. He said O i wont even touch that stuff i refuse to do it. what an asshole, his reasoning the best part, he doesnt like the smell of it. honestly who the hell turns work down like that :D. so after that he starts telling me to just shape it down and do it myself and use my dremel and what not, so i ask him roughly how high above the fretboard i should leave the crown of the nut, his reply O i dont know i just eye it, wonderful answer at which point i walked out bass in hand and will never return to that store again. Damn i miss my local shop end rant

MzI

i wish i could do it myself, im gonna learn over the summer, right now tho i dont have the tools or the time, my current school work load is unbelievable, i dont even get a 5 min break each day to play guitar, its really gettin bad and its only gonna get worse this semester

MzI

• 1 month later...

Finally finished, heres the pictures

Final pictures

for the first bass it came out ok

sound is amazing good even mix of highs lows and mids

playabiltiy it likes to nose dive quite a bit but ill just hafta get a better strap to fix that

the neck is a lil squareish but not bad to play

Next step is to make refinements to my design and make another

MzI