How long are guitar strings?

Now this feels like a really silly/stupid questions but I figured being a newbie both to playing guitars and building guitars entitles me to at least one stupid question...

So, how long are normal guitar strings generally? (full length not scale length)

Or rather what I want to know is how much, if any, margin is there for building a guitar with a longer than normal (>25.5") scale length without having to use baritone strings?

you know...i really believe that the strings are all the same...the longer scale is what results in the deeper tone,not different strings...and a 27" scale is quite common

someone correct me if i am wrong...i don't really mess with baritones,but that is what i assume

you know...i really believe that the strings are all the same...the longer scale is what results in the deeper tone,not different strings...and a 27" scale is quite common

Yeah but aren't baritone strings longer than a normal set of strings? What I've been planning on making is a seven string guitar with 27" scale length, intended to be tuned below standard tuning. However not as low as most baritones (a whole fifth or more below standard). What I am wondering is if I can build my guitar this way and still use a regular set of strings instead of baritone strings - will the normal guitar strings reach all the way from the tuners to the tailpiece of a guitar with 27 inch scale length?

Ok, I probably haven't been clear enough (and maybe had my terminology mixed up regarding baritones). The guitar I intend to build would be a seven string, tuned a whole step lower than what is usual for seven strings, in other words ADGCFAD. I am considering making it a 27" scale for reasons of tone as well as tension (according to an online string tension calculator making it 27" scale would give approx. the same tension tuned a whole step down as a 25.5" scale with the same strings in standard tuning).

I have Martin Koch's book "Building Electric Guitars" which states that:

Baritone guitars require special (longer) strings.

Which is why I was wondering if this guitar with it's current specs would require baritone strings or if a normal string set would suffice.

And the concept of baritone strings is nothing particularly odd, most major string manufacturers make baritone guitar string sets.

These instruments are increasing in popularity. They are tuned in-between a guitar and a bass. Industry standard tuning has not been established. This set if for "A" to "A" tuning for 25" scale & is made up of "Boomers" singles."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that is a quote from the ghs string page on the site you mention...those strings are made to tune to "a" on a 25" scale

the are the same length as regular strings and there is no reason to increase the scale length to achieve that tuning.

i believe a seven string is technically a baritone anyway...but tuning a seven string a step down is no different from tuning a 6 string to "d"

if you want to make it a longer scale,go ahead...but you aren't really required to...

by the way jonathon quesqui did the same thing here

http://www.ghesqij-guitarsite.tk/

he is a member of this site

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showuser=43

that should get you started