Laquer compatibility

Hi,

I'm finishing a Saga kit guitar (Les Paul type), and plan to use an Reranch amber tinted nitro laquer to give the body a vintage look (one or two coats), then apply numerous coats of clear laquer over that. Now the question. I already have several cans of automotive clear coat from Pep Boys (Plasti-Kote Classic Laquer, which contains xylene and acetone). Can I use this as the finish coat over the tinted nitro, or will problems develop because of the different compositions of the two laquers?

Thanks,

Tom

I'll offer this:

Maybe it'll be OK, maybe not, I've read stories both ways on mixing different formulations and the results.

What I would say is that if this project means anything to you (you want to finish it and play it) ...then don't mix. The risks are not worth the few bucks you'll save.

Let's weigh it out, OK?

On the one hand, we save $20-$30.00 bucks not having to buy more Reranch clear cans. That's a hefty hunk-o-loot, certainly nothing to sneeze at.

On the other hand, if it goes south on you (and sometimes this delamination doesn't show up for several months down the road)

...then you are faced with -completely- stripping the finish, -completely- re-prepping the entire guitar, basically -starting over from scratch- and all the money you spent on lacquer now wasted, ...and buying an entire new set of lacquer cans and toner can, and it sets you back several months.

Hmmmmmmm, this is a pretty hard choice!

It's sooooo close, I'm thinnin' it over now...

:DB):D:D:DB)

On the other hand, if it goes south on you (and sometimes this delamination doesn't show up for several months down the road)

...then you are faced with -completely- stripping the finish, -completely- re-prepping the entire guitar, basically -starting over from scratch- and all the money you spent on lacquer now wasted, ...and buying an entire new set of lacquer cans and toner can, and it sets you back several months.

And if you've ever sanded off a finish to start again, you'll know that it's a pain in the arse (and arms) just to get it back to wood. :D