semi hollow

hey i was wondering if there were anybody out there who could give me some tips on building a semi-hollow jazz style guitar, with a carved top, like what woods, the aproximate cost, what kind of neck to be used (set? thru? bolt on?) and where to find these things. thanks

Jory, you've been here a while. Do a search, I think you should be able to come up with something. I was thinking of trying a semi-hollow but decided against it as my talents have not reached a level where I would feel comfortable investing the time and money. I thought you were gonna try a solidbody?

Normally most semi-hollows have a solid block down the center, so it always seemed to me that the way to go would be to do a semihollow neck-thru. Just glue on the hollow wings and slap a top and back on it.

I think either set neck or bolt-on would be just as good; set neck is more difficult to route the mortise & tenon; bolt-on requires also requires good neck pocket alignment.

Normally most semi-hollows have a solid block down the center, so it always seemed to me that the way to go would be to do a semihollow neck-thru. Just glue on the hollow wings and slap a top and back on it.

I think either set neck or bolt-on would be just as good; set neck is more difficult to route the mortise & tenon; bolt-on requires also requires good neck pocket alignment.

That's how I'm doing it.

Here is the work in progress:

http://easypichost.com/Mike/thumbnails