Mahogany

The guitar I'm building is mainly mahogany. Its a semi-hallow 335 copy. I bought the mahogany from two different sources. One board was quarter sawn and used to make the neck and body core. The back is made from a different flat sawn board from another supplier. Both were sold as Honduras mahogany but both are quite different in color and feel.

The neck/core wood is harder and darker than the back wood. The back wood feels almost "furry" and soft. It dents much easier and bends very easy.

Any thoughts?

Even on the same tree, your placement on the tree makes a huge difference. Down toward the base you've got some 100 year old wood whereas on a thick branch or way up high it's newer wood, and still growing under movement from the wind. I think tonally speaking, you lucked out that it worked that way. The harder mahogany for the neck and center block and the softer "furrier" wood for the back/side. You couldn't have asked for a better combination. That furry stuff is a pain in the butt to sand smooth, though. And if you use masking tape for anything like binding or to protect something from stain or finish, make sure its sealed first! The tape can rip off little shards and fibers from mahogany when it's like that. So you'll do a great job shaping and sanding something and lose a big piece right at the end.

I think tonally speaking, you lucked out that it worked that way. The harder mahogany for the neck and center block and the softer "furrier" wood for the back/side. You couldn't have asked for a better combination.

That's what I was thinking.

That furry stuff is a pain in the butt to sand smooth, though.

Believe me, I know...