separate preamp from the power amp

cr_XD

just wondering while i was looking at some amp schematics if you can separate the preamp from the power amp. i mean, there are many that only share the output from the preamp(input to the preamp), ground and power supply.

so, if i wanted to separate the preamp, would it work if i just took away the power amp section. i suppose there would be mods to do in the power supply.

i don´t know if i've got across. is this possible, i suppose, if so how complicated??

are you talking about in an exisiting amp or just want ot build yourown from a schematic

the short answer is yes. but since most are not isolated on aboard seperating it on the board is rather tedious.. but can be done.

if yo uwish to build one froem scratch just for the preamp then thats a little easier.

i meant to build one from. like taking the preamp from the Vox berkley and build a 150 V power supply and take the output.

what should i expect the output to be, in easy terms, could i just plug it into a mixer or a cab sim for example.

if i want to add another channel and switch between both, what do i have to be aware of?

i hope i'm not going far too ahead my possibilities as my knowledge in electronics is limited

well as far as the preamp you can build it no problem simply take the output to a cabinetsimultaor. for best results.. unless you are going into effects that is..

you will need a larger resistor on the end of the .022 capacitor to block the high voltage. usually 220k is what i use. but you may have to epirament.. or use say a 68k and a volume pot to control it.

to switch between the two. its best to remove the input and ground it to keep any stray hum or oscilations away. and also remove the output of the signal also.

i would use relays personaly or electronic switches. like the cd4066.

as far as pluggin into a mixer, i wouldn't as it will be not as pretty as with the cabinet simulator. but check it out for yourself first you might like the sound...

to switch between the two. its best to remove the input and ground it to keep any stray hum or oscilations away. and also remove the output of the signal also.

you mean the input and output of the channel i´m not using ,right?

as far as pluggin into a mixer, i wouldn't as it will be not as pretty as with the cabinet simulator. but check it out for yourself first you might like the sound...

yeah, the cab sim is a much better idea, also to be able to switch between two or three, the question was just to have an idea of the output level of the signal, but it would be interesting to have an output without simulation just in case i want to plug into a separate power amp.

you mean the input and output of the channel i´m not using ,right?

yes.

second question .. yes it would be better to have that option too..