Jump to content

Capacitors and wire?


Recommended Posts

Hi. I am building myself a guitar, and want to replace the capacitors and wire on this harness i have, because it is not wired correctly, and i want to get a fresh set of caps in as well. It is a les paul copy harness. First, what type of capacitor will i need? Second, what is the best type of wire to use for guitar electronics? Thanks. Neal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a rough guide, the higher the cap value, the less treble or highs you will get in your tone.. Also, the higher the pot rating, the more highs you will get.. I suppose that's why 0.047uF caps are used with 500k pots..

If you're making an LP copy, 500k pots with 0.047uF caps are a good start..

Incidentally, use metal film caps.. They last longer and (if I'm not mistaken) have a better tolerance..

As for the wires, I'd say go for the shielded, braided wires.. I've heard gauge 22 wires being recommended but I think it's kind of a trade off.. The thinner your wire, the harder it is (at least for me) to strip it but the less space it'll take up inside your control cavity..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...