My first Kit has a neck without predrilled holes?

Howdy all,

I’m just getting started on my first Tele Kit I got from Brian and wanted to start my question asking (there will be many to come from this novice) before I do anything (especially anything stupid)!

So, my first question is how do I go about mounting a maple neck that doesn’t have predrilled holes? Small part of the problem is there’s clear coat in that area as well that I would think may factor in.

My first guess would be to set the neck in the pocket as snuggly as I can, then tape off a drill bit (to show how deep to go) and tap the holes through the body as deep as the screw would go (including plate thickness).

Am I headed in the right direction?

I am a complete novice so I'm certain there will be Many, Many more REALLY stupid questions to come. :D

Brian

I'm assuming that holes are missing from both the neck and body..

Here's what you want to do:

1. Mount the bridge

2. Install the two E tuners to the peghead

3. put the neck in the neck pocket

4. hold it in place using C-Clamps; BE SURE TO USE WOOD SCRAPS BETWEEN THE CLAMS AND THE GUITAR & FRETBOARD!

5. string up the two E strings and use them as an alignment gauge while you slighly adjust the neck side to side. Once it appears you have it aligned, tighten the Clamps.

6. now using the drill bit designed for the size of the screw, drill your holes. You can use the Neck Plate as a guide, or simply trace the circles on the guitar beforehand (I'd recommed that).

7. You can now unclamp. But you're not done drilling yet. Jump up about 3 bit sizes and drill the holes in the body. You don't want the screws to screw into the body AND the neck...just the neck. They should be able to move around in the body. This will allow for the fine adjustments often necessary after mounting and stringing.

You've got the right idea with using a depth gauge! Don't want to drill through the fretboard!!

Hope that helps.

-Ben

Yes, just follow the same steps with the exeption of using a bigger bit on the body. It can actually be a little more difficult to center the holes properly since you're drilling a small bit through a larger hole. In the past, I've used a brad point drill bit in the same diamater of the holes in the body, put it thorugh the hole and given it a good tap. Then I've removed the neck and drilled it on a press with the correct size bit where the marks on the neck are...esentially using the bigger bit as a coutersink/centerfinder once the neck is aligned on the body.