bass neck

hey guys,

gonna make a bass neck thru for my next project, and i have the wood, its sipo (sp?) mahogany, top notch stuff, but i want to know a rough figure for the thickness at the nut (a fast neck) and at the 12th and 19th fret. if anyone know, please post here :D have only made a guitar neck before.

also, i know this has been mentioned before, but for a defined and tight response what density of wood for the body should be used? medium/high?

is a 34" scale the common bass? i have large hands, and like a tight low end btw... so is this appropriate? its gonna be a 4 or 5 stringer, in standard tuning fyi.

thanks alot

Mike

also may i add... what is a common thickness for a bass guitarbody? i know they are thinner than guitar ones. have read something like 1 1/4" before,but this seems thin. is 1 1/5" okay? pleasde advise!

Mike

also may i add... what is a common thickness for a bass guitarbody? i know they are thinner than guitar ones. have read something like 1 1/4" before,but this seems thin. is 1 1/5" okay? pleasde advise!

Mike

1 1/5" is thinner than 1 1/4" :D

Not sure about the real question, sorry dude. But what I can tell you is that I went to see a gig a while back and the bassest had the thinest neck I'd seen. It was thinner than the one on my strat so I think it can be done. Must have been one hell of a strong truss rod.

Good luck anyway, have you thought of taking some vernier callipers to the guitar shop?

Here Goes:

A J bass neck is 1 1/2 at the nut, a p bass is 1 11/16. The J bass neck is preferred 3 to 1 over the p bass neck, according to Warmoth. I personally prefer the P bass neck.

Thickness: .800" at the 1st fret, .850" at the 12th. (these are what Warmoth uses)

The neck pocket specs for a J or P bass cannot be better put than by Warmoth itself:

BNeckPocSpecs.jpg

I don't have time right now, but this afternoon I can throw up some specs from my 1987 G&L SB-1 too.

thanks man!

as far as the 1 1/5 thing goes i think i meant 1 7/8!

i like the wider nut, so i will be going with the P bass style!

thanks alot ski!

also could you post the thickness of the body as a reference?

Thanks

Mike

PS my calipers are lost and broken :D

I don't know if you can really say that bass bodies are thinner than guitar. It really varies from builder to builder. One of the thinnest I know of are 1 1/4", ala Carl Thompson and I'm sure many others. Most bass body thickness' are either 1 1/2" or 1 3/4". I have heard of 2" thick, ala Wish bass and other sadists/masochists out there. I guess it would be determined by not just your preference, but how deep you need your cavities to be for electronics, input jack location, pickups, etc.

My G&L is 1.75" with finish, and it's a smallish body, but heavy as hell! Dunno why, though....

My custom bass is also 1.75" because it was modeled of the G&L, and it is a good weight and size.

Of course, I have heard that thicker=more sustain. My basses sustain like mad as is, so 1.75" isn't too thin, at any rate.

My $.02 is go for whatever you're comfortable with. Anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2" will be just fine.

Good luck! :D