DiMarzio Distortion ?

Jehle

I've been mentioning my favorite pickup for a few posts now and I need to check my history.

Basically, this is a DiMarzio Distortion 2 conductor pickup. Now, I had thought that is was called a DS-2 but I can't seem to find that information on the DiMarzio website. At the time they also made a DS-4 which was a 4 conductor version of the same pickup. I, like many other people, converted the pickup from a 2 conductor to a 4 conductor.

One other thing, I had also thought that this was just a DiMarzio Distortion, not a DiMarzio Super Distortion. My PU measures only 10k dc resistance, and the DiMarzio Super Distortions measure at a higher 16k or so.

Can anyone confirm or deny what I think I know about this pickup?

The main reason is that I would like to find more of them for my latest project. Thanks for any help.

• 1 year later...

acording to dimarzio they re designed the pickup. they were very short with me when i asked them.. i have an old flyer too that had the dc resistances on them back from the 90's and it doesn't match up to what there current spec say either.

Wow, you dug this one up. I had forgotten all about this post. :D

Sorry to hear that they where a little rude on the phone. I'm still curious about the old DS-2 and DS-4 pickups. I'm begining to think it's the "Dual Sound". I don't know about how they spec out compared to the one that I have.

Fact of the matter is, I just love the tone of this goofy pickup that I got from a pawn shop. I'd like to put that sound in my new guitars.

yeah i tend to once a week and sort through the posts that only have a few replies or no rreplies since the beginning of the forum. or at least thats how i search for them and list them in ascending order. cause sometimes they get overlooked by people.. that way i feel that people get a second chance. on there topic cause the forum may have been flooded the first time someone saw it.

i too have a favorite junk pickup the ones in the old peavey guitars that were hot in the 80's they have the vandenburg type headstock i forget the name of the model buthey were screaming pickups

The Vandenberg guitar was pretty cool. I didn't care for the fader pot that was on them though. No clue what those pickups where. :D

Every once in a while Peavey will do something right. I absolutely loved the Gliders strings. They where so silky feeling. Good luck finding anyone that sells them though.

i remember those i loved the ghs half ground rounds.. did you ever play that.. oh my god i was in heaven..

yeha i ddint' like the setup on the vandenburg guitar either.. but i loved the neck and the fretboard.. specially the ebony one i played. but this pickup was similar to it, and was in another guitar they did that had the same headstock.. it was a single humbucker no tone only volume control and some of them were pushpulls but i am unsure if this was stock or aftermarket. but they had the peavey floydrose like the vandenburg model.. basically a stripped down vandenburg.