Neck-body joints

Hi, whats the difference between bolt on, neck through and glue in neck joints? As in what are the differences in terms of sound? I hear that bolt on has the least sustain and neck through has the most sustain out of these three. What other differences are there and are the sound differences very minimal like with different types of wood? Thanks.

this is asked alot,there are many threads on it,but i feel like doing a complete answer on it,so here goes

bolt on)less sustain than set neck or neck through...but can sound just as sweet and if done with a tight fitting joint,sustain can be almost as nice as a set neck...problem is that the neck heel is in my way when i play

set neck)these are nice too..they have added sustain over a bolt on...the key is ,again,make a tight joint...i find them to be a hair less punchy than a neck through,but when done well upper fret access can be superb

neck through)this one is my favorite...sustain is great,resonance is superb,and upper fret access is awesome...i prefer the sound of a neck through also

but the differences between sound of a WELL BUILT version of all three is noticeable,but not very

bolt on neck is cheapest to build and easiest to find a place to set it for painting....painting the others is tough

It's interesting to me that more companies don't do more neck throughs. They are definatly the quickest to build and have more sustain. Bolt on's are easier to finish but they are usually considered cheaper then set necks and neck throughs...yet fender still makes over 1200 guitars a day. Go figure. :D