Saga kits

I've been looking over the Saga Tele kits for a while, but I'm concerned about the quality of the components. I'm pretty sure a pickup and tuner replacement is in order (it's nice to have parts lying around) but what about the other components? When built up, do they feel like real guitars or like a crappy kit? I know that the builder has a lot to do with it, but just speaking in general... are they even worth the $100? I really liked the Muddy Waters replica I saw on guitarattack.com, so I want to build one of my own.

Just finished building mine and all I can say is: it is what it is.....a $100 guitar. I bought mine more to learn some things about building and practice some things before beginning work on more expensive components. There are definitely a lot of 'opportunities' to replace the stock items that come with the kit. The tuning keys are definitely not the best, same for the pickups. The only problem with the wood I've found is some....well it looks like router chatter at the end of the neck. Other than that it seems fine, for a $100 guitar.

yes, i agree.. of course, this is my first post.. but with a few replacements (obviously the tuners, pickups are fine but not fan-freakin'-tastic, and I put a brass nut in mine) it is a lot of fun... although I think I got a bag of strat hardware with my tele kit, because a lot of screws and smaller stuff didn't match up

the tuners are nowhere near fine, they hold the strings on the headstock (just about) but you will need to replace them straight away as to not tarnish your view of the guitar :D

the tuners are nowhere near fine, they hold the strings on the headstock (just about) but you will need to replace them straight away as to not tarnish your view of the guitar :D

....and be prepared to ream out the tuner holes in many cases. I just did mine this weekend with five drill bits stepping up as I went cause I don't have a drill press and not willing to pay $70 for a reamer at stewmac.

B

the tuner holes are actually really freaking annoying, because all my extra sets of nicer tuners are too big for the tiny holes.. it would've been nice just to drop a new set in, dremel out some screw holes and be up and running.

all the small problems i've had with the kit have been easily solved, it is just annoying because it is a KIT.. if I was building from scratch, I wouldn't care that pickup mounting holes weren't drilled, because I'd be drilling them myself anyways... oh well, still lots of fun