More exciting progress on my build to 6/19...Boggs

We had another stellar Saturday working on these guitars... I started out by cleaning excess glue from the access panel seat where there was squeeze-out from gluing on the back so the panel would sit flush with the back. Then, we removed squeeze-out from the lower bout where the mahogany was a bit wider than the padauk and added a piece of padauk to that area. We worked on Tim's guitar body while this glue set.

Then, after the glue had set sufficiently and using Tim's small drawblade, I cleaned off the excess material before rounding the back sides with the router. The photos showing these processes can be seen here...

061904_00.JPG

061904_01.JPG

061904_02.JPG

The next 3 photos show the result of the rounding and the real shape of the guitar back dry and then 2 more wet with mineral spirits showing the beauty of both the back and both Cuban mahogany sides...

061904_03.JPG

061904_04.JPG

061904_05.JPG

After that, we glued up the top after I drilled and slotted the top panel for the switches and pots and made the first hole at the pickup areas so I can rout them with a follower bit. The glue should be all set today and the top should be ready for rounding and the neck and pickup routs will be ready for completion!

As a bonus, I received the parts I need to finish the prototype and got everything assembled and ready for installing the electronics! That guitar will be completed early this week!!! :D Boggs

With the French polish, it won't be quite that dark until it ages. That shot was just wetted down with mineral spirits... That Cuban mahogany I got from Toby at Blue Moon Exotic Woods is pretty spectacular stuff though... The padauk top is actually more symmetrical and better than the back! It is glued on now, but I need to round the edges and rout for the neck and pickups. Boggs