pickups gibson/duncan

blink100182

hey whats up im new here and have a question for my project guitar,i want to get blink 182 tom delonge sound,he uses the retro gibson dirty fingers,and the seymour duncan invader pick ups,now my guitar im using is a fender strat what would sound better?

heres a few more questions

would i be able to put the gibson dirty finger pickup in my strat?

will the gibson sound right?

thats all i have sounds like a noob question but ive been playing guitar for 4 years so,just need opions and awsers and dont crit against the sound im looking for i know u all hate it,im looking for awesers and options!

or just get new one (after all, one one really likes to see a guitar with empty pickup holes) Delonge has the simple approach i like: 1 pickup one volume. May I suggest getting an EMG preamp booster to go with the duncan or gibson to give you an onboard boost when needed. In a couple weeks they'll be easier to find but they cost somewhere between $25 and $30. i consider it the better alternative to a tone control. It works with passive pickups. anyway... it's your guitar.

I would leave the other pickups in place, just in case you want to play something besides Blink 182 at some point, but that's up to you... a no-load tone pot would keep you from having to remove the tone circuit to get Tom's setup, and the other pickups won't interfere unless you turn them on. I don't think an Invader would need a preamp, but it's certainly a workable option.

Yep, it's about a 20dB clean boost. If you have an amp that can benefit from it, it's well worth the investment. The crappy thing is that you never know what kind of amp it will work well with. I have a clean boost pedal that sounds great through my Sunns (both solid state), but turned my Carvin (MTS3200 tube head) into mashed crap. :D

Good stuff there - the Stratoblaster and the LPB2 are simple and small enough to use onboard, and check out Jack Orman's MOSFET Boost - a little more complex, but very nice! And GGG offers boards for most of their projects, so you don't even have to etch one yourself.