Can you sand a Veneer

This is my guitar DSC00581.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

I want to redo the top. May be with a gold top with flames or a chameleon type burst or if I can get the the finish off, a flame job where I can see the flame with dye and a solid color over it. Has any of you done somenthing like this. I contacted Epiphone and they told me that the top is a veneer, and that they don't know ( how thick or what type of wood is under it). Let me know because my other guitars where already sent and as soon as I get them I will be refinishing all of them.

Yo maiden, I know these aren't the answers you want to hear but....

Considering that's an Epi, there is a STRONG possibility that the veneer could be as thin as 1/32 of an inch. If it is that thin, the stain would have penetrated all the way through the veneer to the base wood. If you try to sand that finish off, you run the risk of going through the veneer just getting the stain out.

I agree with Maestro, leave it be, and build yourself another with the finish you want.

my .02 :D

Thanks for the reply's... The reason why I want to redo is because when I bought it I was looking for a gold top or a nice blue one they had in display, (dark ble but with metallic finish like the gold top) and whan the guy picked it up a piece about a 1/2" fell from the corner were the knobs are. He also had this one on display and the price was $549, so he dropped $100 because I was going to leave and I got it. I really like the figured tops' but I will like to do somenthing more elaborate, my opinion is that regular sunburst (cherry or whatever) look boring. I love the blue, purple, green, etc...

I guess I will let it be for now, but I don't know for how long. I will consider my options since the guitar play nice and I got no complains about it. Any other sugestions will be welcome. And one more question to add. If I sand it how difficult is it to add a veneer to a carved top? Thanks again for your input...

Thanks for the reply's... The reason why I want to redo is because when I bought it I was looking for a gold top or a nice blue one they had in display, (dark ble but with metallic finish like the gold top) and whan the guy picked it up a piece about a 1/2" fell from the corner were the knobs are. He also had this one on display and the price was $549, so he dropped $100 because I was going to leave and I got it.  I really like the figured tops' but I will like to do somenthing more elaborate, my opinion is that regular sunburst (cherry or whatever) look boring.  I love the blue, purple, green, etc...

I guess I will let it be for now, but I don't know for how long.  I will consider my options since the guitar play nice and I got no complains about it.  Any other sugestions will be welcome.  And one more question to add.  If I sand it how difficult is it to add a veneer to a carved top?  Thanks again for your input...

I've seen on here from several people that it's virtually impossible to add a veneer to a carved top that has drop offs in multiple directions without things like vacuum presses and the like. You can do a veneer to a single direction drop like the arm contour on a strat pretty easily, though. Just wet and bend, glue and clamp. The radius curves make it impossible to wet and bend, because you will end up with a fold somewhere. The best bet if you want to "redo" somthing like what you're talking about it to thickness plane the body down by 3/4" and put a maple cap on, then carve the drop yourself with a router, planes, or sanding.

Good luck! :D

dcamp67, that's what I thought... I guess that I will finish it in a solid color ( Gold or Blue?) and I will do the strat copy with the veneer or a drop top like you suggested, it's front routed and will try to convert it to a rear rout. thank's for the feedback...