What is the right size for a neck blank?

Hi! :D im looking for some help, any will be appreciated.

Im looking at the neckblanks from stewmac and the size they list is 13/16" x 4" x 27", which seems a bit small, looking at some of the awesome necks around here.

So when thinking of making my own neck i dunno what size wood to buy :D

I was thinking of making one with a 13degree headstock, but i saw that you can just cut that from the neck itself, and not carve it out, wasting alot of valuable wood. (im not sure if any of this matters, just trying to be specific)

Thanks,

Tim B)

Hi Tim. Welcome aboard. :D

I think that the Stew Mac blank is fairly typical. 4" wide is fairly standard. The length and the thickness are going to vary. 13/16" seems a little thin if you wanted to make a one piece neck. Usually you aim for 1" thick for a one piece or a 3/4" neck with 1/4" fretboard top.

There's probably nothing wrong with 13/16" though from Stew Mac. I would bet that the wood is in very good condition and that you wouldn't need to prep it at all. That's just my guess though. I'm just getting started in the neck building.

that neck blank from stew mac isn't the correct size for angled back headstock, only for flat fender style headstocks. A Scarf joint is the most economical way to do angled back heastocks and wasts pretty much no wood at all, but it's also the hardest to do IMO, if you search the forum you'll find more then a couple threads where we talked about scarf joints, and how to do them. Even if you were to cut that peice of wood to do a scarfe joint i think it would have to be a tad longer. And finaly the neck blank only needs to be as wide as your headstock :D