Tools for squaring rough cut wood

lucky1

It all depends on how much time and patience you have and your skills at working with wood. of course, if the facilities are available elsewhere then its not worth the aggravation, and...I have to admit, doing it ye olde fashioned waye can get pretty aggravating at times. But its definitely do-able, you just have to make sure your first cut is the straight one (both ways) and stick to the rules of the almighty straightedge and square. Its easy enough to oversand some spot and then have to make corrections elsewhere, sort of like trying to level the legs on a chair to make it sit flat. :D Thats why its important to know exactly what sort of dimensions you are beginning with and where you want to end up. Also, finding the easiest way to get it square and most important, WATCH what you are doing at all times.

As far as how much more difficult in comparison?, I would have to say MUCH. I spent a good afternoon getting my most recent neck roughed out which included cutting a 3 degree neck angle with a skilsaw and then block sanding while constantly checking with a straightedge for length and L-square for corners. And even then the results were not exactly perfect. Last year I built a guitar while I was employed at a boat building shop so I had some access to the facilities. I did the exact same work on the neck of that guitar with a massive belt sander in about 20 minutes during my lunch hour and, of course, it came out perfect.

There's also more than one way to skin that cat. From working on my own projects, I've had to look around the garage and try a few different tools for the same job. Some go faster than others, sometimes the slower way is better because you have a better chance to stop before you goof up.

We just had a thread recently about thicknessing raw wood with a router. That's what I did on my last project. I was also able to use a router table as a jointer. There are many people here that will tell you that the router is the most flexable tool in the shop because you can do almost anything with it. Sure, it's not the first tool for a job like thicknessing a raw (or warped) board but it can be done.

Take stock of what you have on hand. You may be able to work with what you already have. :D

We just had a thread recently about thicknessing raw wood with a router.

where exactly was that thread, or what was the title? i used the Search and couldn't find it.

i did that this afternoon on one of my maple neck-thru V wing blanks, with decent results. i'll leave little fins of wood to support the router base better when i thickness the other wing.