Few questions about the neck!

Hi there this is the makings of my Randy Rhoads guitar style neck neck so far. http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&col...=1&sort_order=0 Once ive chiseled out the truss rod cavity (as i dont have access to a router) what would you guys reccomend for using as an anchor piece for the truss rod? Also once ive fitted the truss rod and fretboard, as i dont have access to a bandsaw, all i can think of for shaping the neck ie the neck flare (nut to heal) if you will! not the actual shaping ive got spokeshaves for that, is to use my trusy beltsander! Any thoughts on this? Would that be adequate or it it asking for troble?

Thanks all! Haydn

I would highly recommend you saving up and buying a router, even if it's a cheaper one, they are too important not to have. Routing the truss rod channel is the best way to do it. As far as chiseling out the truss rod slot, if you don't know anyone who has a router, do you know anyone who has a table saw, you can make multiple passes with a table saw and route a perfect slot, but you have to be careful. I also think you should use a double action truss rod since you can just cut out a straight slot all the way down the neck, if you used a standard truss and I think that's what your wanting to use since you mentioned anchoring, you would not only have to chisel out the truss, but at a curve, and I don't know anyone who would want to attempt such a feat. As far as cutting out the neck shape, the bandsaw is the best tool to get you close to your final shape, surely you can find someone you know who has some of these tools. If you would buy a router then you could use it for shaping the neck also using the right bits and templates. Using a belt sander to do a job that needs great percision is just asking for trouble, there is a place in guitar building for belt sanders but this is not one of them. I highly recommend you buying a router before you go any farther, unless you really don't care how the neck looks or plays when you get done.

cheers guitarfrenzy, yeah ive cut the edges of the truss rod slot with a minature circular saw to the correct depth which should make the chiseling a bit eaiser. But yh i guess im gonna have to invest in a router at some stage and find someone with a bandsaw. May take a trip to my old wood working department at school!

Haydn